Want to take a gap year, but aren’t sure how you want to spend it? I’ve come up with a list of travel ideas you can partake in, and that will hopefully inspire you (along with the pictures above of a semi-absent minded young adult frolicking around Europe) to go. Whether you have big savings or none, are young or old, this list can help out everyone! Enjoy
- Become an Au Pair
- Bartend your way around Spain.
- Book your plane ticket to South America and spend the year living out of a backpack.
- Work and travel (most commonly done in New Zealand, Australia, Southeast Asia).
- Join Greenpeace and travel the world while saving it.
- Teach English, anywhere. (this is in demand all around the world)
- Teach any other language that you speak.
- Work at a vinery as an extra hand.
- Become a flight attendant.
- Become a yacht or cruise ship attendant.
- Build houses in Cambodia.
- Have some savings? Write your bucket list, and spend a year completing each and every item on it.
- Work on supplying clean water for villages in Africa.
- Hop in a car and see each of America’s 50 States.
- Volunteer at an orphanage in India.
- Get yourself a job as an assistant for a documentary film maker, and spend the year following along on the current project.
- Get a job in London and try to make it there for a year.
- Work on a farm in rural Germany.
- Become a tour guide in a major city, offering tours in your native language.
- Backpack (aka InterRail) through Europe.
- Buy/rent a used RV and drive through Scandinavia.
- Hike the Himalayas or the Appalachian Trail.
- Apply for as many internships around the world as you can, and then go wherever opportunity strikes.
- Take the Trans-Siberian Railway.
- Work on a wildlife preserve.
- Take part in research projects at the Galapagos Islands.
- Attend language classes in another country to get fluent.
- Hope on a bus in Australia and explore each corner of the fascinating country.
- Spend a year pursuing something you love and see if it can turn into a profession.
- Start a blog, get up, go out, and explore
So there you have it, 30 gap year travel ideas. Don’t be afraid to pursue your dreams, even if it might mean an uncertain future at times. Do what you love, and the rest will fall into place! Happy weekend all, and thanks for following along.
PS: Guys I’m so close to 100 followers on Instagram! If you are interested, you can find it here.